Daniel Janner QC
A highly experienced Criminal Silk dedicated to fighting for justice for those he represents. Daniel has a wide-ranging QC’s practice with a successful track record - leading in many high-profile, complex, sensitive sexual abuse and rape cases.
“Daniel provides excellent first instance and appellate advocacy... has excellent rapport with juries....first rate legal acumen and particularly fine drafting.”Legal 500 Directory.
Daniel is also instructed in murder trials, often featuring drugs and firearms. Many have involved complex forensic evidence such as death by arson, cell site analysis, anonymous witness and cases of “cut-throat” defences. He has considerable experience too of representing young defendants charged with murder, speaking out with clarity and force, on behalf of his clients.
Daniel has appeared in numerous complex and serious fraud trials, often representing professionals including solicitors, accountants and financial advisers.
Daniel is a senior member (Bencher) of the Middle Temple, https://www.middletemple.org.uk/members/masters-of-the-bench and Editor, since 1994, of the Criminal Appeals Reports, published by Sweet & Maxwell. Daniel has been called to the Cayman Islands Bar and is regularly instructed by the International Criminal Court as a member of its panel of defence advocates
Instruct Daniel directly - he is qualified to accept instructions directly from clients under the Bar Council Public Access Scheme.
During his university days, Daniel was elected President of the Cambridge Union Society and awarded Dr Cooper’s Law studentship at Trinity Hall, Cambridge. He was a Jules Thorn Scholar (a major award from the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple).
Daniel’s most prominent cases include:
- The Heysel Stadium football extraditions
- The Knightsbridge Safety Deposit box robbery
- Oyston and Martin rape trials
- French student murder trial; “Happy slap” murder trial
- London City Bond fraud trial
- Gouldbourne Cayman Islands murder
- McGrath money laundering
- Cleeve Prior missing body murder
- Lord of Fraud, Rodley trials.
What his clients say:
“I have instructed Daniel Janner QC on many of my most complex and difficult cases, where the stakes for my clients are extremely serious. His intellect, wisdom and formidable advocacy skills are matched by his high standard of client care and his commitment to achieving the best possible outcomes.” Daniel Berke
“I was fortunate to be represented by Daniel Janner in civil and criminal matters for almost 19 years. He was professional and extremely hardworking at all times. He always listened and his advice was invariably spot on. I realised that he was respected by opposition barrister and judges. Mr Janner served me well and is a credit to his profession.” Frank McGrath
Other recent cases
- R v Green. Defended former headmaster charged with historic sex abuse against children.
- R v Smith and others. Child sex abuse ring trial.
- R v F and others. Birmingham incest paedophile ring trial.
- R v P. - Successfully overturned rape convictions in the Court of Appeal. (instructed directly)
- R v Kevin O’Dowd - Daniel was court appointed cross-examiner in rape trial.
- R v Dr Arowjolu - Successful appeal of conviction in relation to consultant obstetrician and obtained acquittal in retrial.
- R v Swayne - Cut-throat murder trial.
- R v Crompton - The defendant punched and killed an elderly man during the course of a burglary.
- R v Barratt - Multi-handed stabbing murder trial. Complex CCTV expert evidence. The victim was a former European Welter Weight boxing champion.
- R v Matthew Taylor - Missing body gypsy murder trial.
- R v Simon Sheen. - Daniel defended a young man charged with the murder of his mother and attempted murder of his two siblings in a house fire. The case involved challenging highly complex forensic evidence.
- R v Chuong Nguyen - Vietnamese contract killer trial as featured on Crimewatch.
- R v Gouldbourne - Cayman Islands diminished responsibility murder trial.
- R v Chaplin - Daniel represented a 15 year old girl charged with murder of a friend’s boyfriend.
- R v Brima – a teenage defendant involved in a street stabbing.
- R v Ogier - Ascot Racecourse murder trial.
Fraud and Financial Crime
- R v Lonnie Smith – five month multi-million pound MTIC and fraudulent loan agreement trial.
- R v Rodley - The “Lord of Fraud” Rodley bank and boiler room fraud trials, involving over £200 million.
- R v Gillespie - This was the largest counterfeit medicines prosecution in Europe involving several million pounds. Daniel represented the main defendant.
- R v Darienzo - Operation Erasure. £20 million VAT fraud. Multi-handed complex serious fraud trial.
- R v Cotton - Daniel represented a financial advisor charged with a long-term and involved Ponzi type fraud.
- R v McGrath - Daniel defended a well-known Preston politician in Operation Angel which involved corruption, fraud and drugs money laundering offences.
- R v Peacock - Daniel represented an accountant charged with money laundering and a mortgage fraud.
- R v Shah - Daniel represented a solicitor on a multi-million mortgage fraud.
- R v Issitt - Operation Divert. £85 million carousel fraud.
- London City Bond Trial - Daniel represented one of the main defendants.
- R v McDonnell - Drug related blackmail and kidnapping.
- R v Lawson and others - Daniel prosecuted a multi-handed drugs trial.
- R v Briggs-Price - Drugs conspiracy in the East Midlands.