Andrew was educated in the USA and England and called to the Bar in 1990. He is a highly sought-after, experienced criminal defence barrister, regularly instructed in heavyweight cases across the full spectrum of criminal law.
Andrew is particularly adept in cases where there is a need to combine robust advocacy with the effective management of complex case papers and sensitive issues. Instructing Solicitors regularly comment upon his remarkable effectiveness as a jury advocate, and his excellent client management skills.
Andrew has extensive experience in “white collar” crime, dealing with all aspects of fraud and financial crime; areas where his previous employment in the Investment Banking sector give him invaluable insight and expertise.
Andrew has previously provided advocacy replique montre de luxe france training to the CPS and interview training for CID officers in respect of sexual offences. In representing clients charged with these most sensitive of matters, Andrew ensures that the Defendant’s case is properly put to their best advantage, without alienating the jury or judiciary. This approach has led to him being repeatedly commended by trial judges for his “sensitive yet effective” cross-examination of complainants.
Outside of the Bar, Andrew spends far too much time pondering his musical choices in the unlikely event he ever appears on Desert Island Discs.
- R v Jackson & Others – Court of Appeal (2016): Leading junior in appeal against 37 year tariff set for “Honey Trap” murder and casino armed robbery.
- R v GR & Others – Southwark Crown Court (2016): Leading junior in 9 handed prosecution of Romanian Sex Trafficking ring.
- R v MA – Woolwich Crown Court (2015): Junior alone, secured acquittal on allegations of Attempted Murder and Possession of a Firearm.
- R v A & Others – Minshul Street Crown Court (2015): Led by Cairns Nelson QC in multi handed conspiracy to murder / drugs and firearms case.
- R v J & Others – Southwark Crown Court (2014): Junior alone in “operation Rampaz”, prosecution of gang behind the multi £million hacking of Barclays and Santander.
- R v Hoyle – Chester Crown Court (2014): Led by Anthony Metzer QC in “Facebook” Murder trial featured in BBC TV series “The Prosecutors”.
- R v D Manchester – Crown Court (2014): Junior alone, secured acquittal in Rape trial, despite alleged text message “confession” by Defendant.
- R v Blackburn & James – Court of Appeal (2011): Leading junior (with Nicholas Wayne of Argent Chambers) in lengthy contested confiscation proceedings arising from illegal manufacture of cigarettes. Orders imposed were successfully argued against and quashed in the Court of Appeal, where the reported judgment is now a leading authority regarding the proper application of POCA.
- R v B & Others - Counsel for lead defendant in multi-handed Conspiracy to Blackmail prosecution of Directors and employees of a car-clamping company previously featured on BBC TV’s “Watchdog” programme. After 4 week trial secured a directed acquittal on all counts following a submission of no case to answer.
- T v Minshall & Others - Junior counsel for lead defendant in HM Customs prosecutions arising from “Operation Waipiti”, major investigation into the set up and operation of illegal cigarette factory in the Midlands.
- R V S & Others - Defence counsel in multi-handed Tamil kidnaps case, secured acquittal after full trial. The defence relied heavily upon the analysis and use of mobile telephone cell site evidence.
- Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit