“Professional and diligent,” “he is incredibly bright and dedicated” – Chambers UK 2021 (Crime)
“He is very clever. His knowledge of the law is first class and he is able to apply it to any problem that I have thrown at him. Very bright, and thinks outside the box” – Legal 500, London, Fraud (2021)
“He has a very quick mind which means that he is normally a step ahead of the rest. He is a very effective and well-rounded advocate. Notwithstanding his no-nonsense style he is equally capable of sensitive cross-examination of a vulnerable witness. He is extremely hard working” – Legal 500, London, Crime (2021)
“Very bright, effective and charming” – Legal 500, London, Crime (2020)
Greg Unwin is ranked as a leading junior in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners directories. His practice encompasses serious criminal trials including murder, terrorism and drug trafficking, and also business and regulatory crime including fraud, money laundering and asset recovery. He is a sought after junior in cases requiring complex legal argument. Several of his cases feature in Archbold and Blackstone’s. He has been praised by the Court of Appeal for “commendable industry”, “excellent submissions” and “skilful argument”.
Recent cases include a publican prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter following the electrocution of a child; the head of a country lines drugs network tried for the close range shooting of a rival dealer; an international corruption prosecution for the SFO; and resisting a prosecution appeal against a successful submission of no case to answer in the ‘Bulmer Art Heist’ trial.
- Grade 3 CPS Counsel, including serious crime and fraud panels
- SFO Prosecution Panel B
- Regulatory List B
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit
Awards, Qualifications & Other
- South Eastern Circuit Florida Advanced Advocacy Scholarship 2014.
- Winner / Finalist: BPP, City and ELMC mooting competitions 2007-2008, judged by Longmore LJ, Lord Neuberger and ECJ judges.
- Times Law Award 2007, presented by the Lord Chancellor.
- Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School, London (Middle Temple Queen Mother Major Scholarship 2007).
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City Law School, London (Middle Temple Queen Mother Major Scholarship 2006).
- MA (Hons) Philosophy, Queens’ College, Cambridge University (College Prize and Exhibition 1997).
Greg Unwin’s professional judgement and technical skills benefit from a previous six-year career with an international consulting and design services firm before he joined the Bar. His clients included the Guardian, Shell, Barclays, HMRC and the House of Commons (where he gave evidence to a Select Committee).
Greg Unwin is approved to accept instructions direct from international and UK clients on a direct access basis, without the need for a solicitor intermediary in appropriate cases.