Richard Christie QC
Richard Christie was appointed to the Attorney General’s A list of prosecution counsel in 2002 after many years specialising in heavy defence work. His practice continues to reflect a mix of both defence and prosecution work in almost equal measure. He deals in all areas of criminal work but especially serious fraud, murder and cases that require substantial client care. He successfully concluded the hugely complicated defence of the historic axe murder of Private Eye Daniel Morgan, a case which involved numerous allegations of police corruption and is linked to the News International phone hacking scandal and the murder of Stephen Lawrence (see observations of Maddison J in the case section below). He also appeared before the Leveson Inquiry. His successful prosecution of a multi-million pound 10 handed excise fraud was featured on the ITV programme “Fiddles, Cheats and Scams”.
He has been recommended in Chambers and Partners every year since taking silk in 2006 and has also been recommended in the Legal 500.
He has also been on the SFO panel of approved counsel for both prosecution and proceeds of crime work since 2009 being re-appointed in 2013 and 2017 respectively.
He is one of only a few designated counsel, appointed to deal with rough justice/historic appeal cases by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. He is also engaged in a number of these cases at any one time on behalf of the defence. He regularly acts on behalf of the Criminal Cases Review Commission in judicial review proceedings in relation to these cases.
He was engaged as independent counsel to the IPCC in the shooting of barrister Mark Saunders
Before coming to the Bar, he trained with the leading accountancy firm Touche Ross and Co. (now Deloitte).
Richard Christie QC has been ranked as:
- Tier 1 for Crime (General and Fraud) (South Eastern region) for Legal 500, 2021
- Tier 3 for Crime (London) for Legal 500, 2021
- Band 3 for Crime QC for Chambers and Partners 2021
- “Incredibly resilient when placed under pressure by defence teams” – Legal 500, 2020
- ‘He is diligent, articulate, has an eye for detail and is highly respected by judges and his peers.’ Legal 500, 2021
- ‘He leaves no stone unturned. Very calm and collected in presentation and an excellent communicator with varying audiences. Works well and is inclusive of others ensuring thorough explanations, sharing of knowledge and foresees issues to deal with them effectively.’ – Legal 500, 2021
- “Relentless and doesn’t let anything push him off course even if things aren’t going his way.” – Chambers and Partners 2021
- CBA and SFLA
- Chair of Essex Bar Mess 2011-2014
Awards, Qualifications & Other
- Deputy Taxing Master -2002
- QC – 2006
- Recorder – 2009
Richard Christie is approved to accept instructions direct from international and UK clients on a direct access basis, without the need for a solicitor intermediary in appropriate cases.