Sebastian was called to the Bar in 2016 and joined Chambers in April 2020 after successful completion of his pupillage. Since April 2019 he has regularly appeared in the Crown Court, Magistrates’ Court and Youth Court for both the prosecution and defence.
Sebastian has been praised for his attention to detail, commitment and approachability with clients. He is skilled in specialist youth advocacy, regularly representing young people and vulnerable adults, including those suffering with mental health difficulties, schizophrenia and autism spectrum disorder. Sebastian always seeks to reassure and fearlessly defend clients of all ages and walks of life, including those who may have never stepped foot in the often-intimidating criminal courts before.
Primarily a specialist criminal practitioner, Sebastian has successfully defended clients at trial for anything from driving offences to possession of bladed articles, serious assaults and domestic violence. He has also been instructed to prosecute a wide range of offences, including burglary and sexual offences.
Before commencing pupillage in Chambers, Sebastian worked as a paralegal in a successful property law team, defending specialist prosecutions brought by local authorities against landlords and companies. This included defending Trading Standards & HMO prosecutions, as well as in social tenancy fraud cases.
In addition to general criminal law expertise, Sebastian has a rapidly-diversifying practice experience in dealing with crime-adjacent and more niche areas:
- HMO & Licensing fixed penalty appeals – Sebastian has appeared in the First-tier Property Tribunal in relation to penalties issued against a residential landlord.
- Trading standards, trademarks & private prosecutions – Sebastian regularly undertakes work relating to unusual offences involving trademark infringement.
- Sexual Risk Orders and other civil behaviour orders – Sebastian has experience in dealing with contested civil behaviour orders in the magistrates and on appeal to the Crown Court.
- Breach of civil injunctions & contempt proceedings – Sebastian has appeared in the County Court in relation to anti-social behaviour injunctions.
- Nursing & Midwifery Council – Sebastian regularly deals with regulatory matters involving the NMC.
Criminal Bar Association
Sebastian sits on the Young Bar Sub-Committee of the CBA
Young Fraud Lawyers’ Association
Grade 1 CPS Counsel
NMC External Counsel
Awards, Qualifications & Other
Advocacy and the Vulnerable Training, Inner Temple (October 2019)
Youth Justice Legal Centre – Youth Justice Advocacy Training (March 2019)
Bar Professional Training Course, BPP University – Very Competent
Law with Politics (LLB Hons), University of Sussex – Upper Second-Class Honours