Sports Law Barristers
Within the changing regulatory landscape and the ongoing issues around regulatory enforcement by professional sports bodies, our Sports Law barristers offer a tailored legal solution to the needs of our private clients in the sporting world.
At 187 Chambers, we provide advice to:
- Football clubs on regulatory and tax compliance, on/off field discipline, bribery and corruption
- International football clubs on bribery and corruption
- Representation before individual sports disciplinary tribunals
- Businesses effected by betting regulations on corporate liability.
Why choose our Sports Law barristers?
- We provide strategic advice and expert advocacy for individuals and corporate clients, at every level of proceedings.
- We have a team of expert lawyers to advise on HMRC tax investigations
- Proven track record of defending serious and complex allegations of tax avoidance and fraud relating to football clubs.
- We have represented clients before the following sports regulators Football Association (FA), Rugby Football Union (RFU), British Horseracing Authority (BHA), British Judo Council (BJC), The Gambling Commission
- Our team is passionate about sport and speak publicly in European Forums on the impact of fraud and the law on football.
Examples of Our Sports Law Cases Include:
- It’s a man’s world inquiry – Jason Bartfeld QC acted for the first two defendants in the biggest ever corruption enquiry conducted by the British Horseracing Authority. The case involved multiple allegations of race fixing
- British Judo Association v Alan Roberts – Jason Bartfeld QC acted for a former Olympic judo coach accused of historical sexual offences against students.
- The ‘Harry Redknapp’ case. Andrew Trollope QC secured the acquittal of Portsmouth FC CEO Peter Storrie who was charged together with club chairman Milan Mandaric and manager Redknapp with tax evasion on player transfer agents’ fees.
- National Anti-Doping Panel v T (2018) –Gideon Cammerman QC successfully acting for boxer charged with doping offence.
- Gambling Commission v X Ltd (2016) – Gideon Cammerman QC represented a director of online gambling company cleared of wrongdoing.
- British Horseracing Authority v X (2015) – Gideon Cammerman QC acted for jockey charged with illegal betting.
- Andrew Trollope QC at Soccerex Manchester Forum gave individual presentations on bribery in football and the UEFA Fair Play regulations. Also part of 4-man expert panel in moderated session ‘Betting in Football’.